Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Day 2 - Movie

Yes, I am coming to this late, and starting out of sequence. Can I just pass that off as charming and whimsical instead of what it really is -- disorganized and lazy?

Well, nevermind, on with the show. I went through a heavy Why Does Africa Get Crapped On So Much phase in the first few months. It was decidedly not normal and possibly not healthy. I think my husband put up with it as one of my quirks or part of my grieving process, but needless to say I watched many of these films and countless online episodes of Frontline alone.

Blood Diamond, The Last King of Scotland, Lost Boys of Sudan, Hotel Rwanda, Sometimes in April (which was great and crushing, by the way), Lumumba, The Battle of Algiers, and probably others.

In retrospect, I think I was trying to put my loss in the context of more widespread and senseless tragedies. Call it the "it could have been worse" technique.

1 comment:

  1. That makes a shitload of sense to me, Aud.

    Looking back at our netfli*x queue, I realize we were in a heavy, heavy French film noir phase - call it the "if we're gonna sulk, let's figure out how to look cool and menacing while we're at it" phase. So funny how our brains on auto-pilot work.

    In other thoughts, plans Sat night? I might be kinda sorta near your 'hood. DM me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete